You can hear a deep humming sound and slight vibration. This is not how your ship sounds. Hold on... You open your eyes, and to your horror, you see you're in a small room, most likely a cell. The walls are opalescent and smooth, like a shell. What are you going to do?
You decide to wait and listen. Time is hard to track in darkness. You lie down. Sleep doesn't come, and you eventually get bored.
The door looks old, as if fitted hastily by the crew. There is a keyhole and a barred window, through which a faint purple glow radiates into your cell.
The door doesn't budge. Seems they didn't forget to close it... Suddenly, a strong jolt sets you flying into the opposite wall. As you barely managed to get on your feet, another sharp turn flings you into the door, which breaks out of the frame.
You gather all your might and launch a kick into the door, locking your boot where the latch should be. Just as you land the hit, a strong jolt hurls the rest of you into the door. It falls out of frame and you're out in the corridor.
You turn and look across your cell. Some rugs on the floor and a bucket. Nothing more. The bucket has a metal handle though... so this might work if you manage to break it. Just as you pick up the bucket, a sudden jolt send you flying into the door. It doesn't stand a chance, as you (and the door) fly out into the corridor.
The corridor is filled with a delicate, purple light coming from orbs placed on the low ceiling. You hear noises coming from the upper deck. Prepared, as the experienced space voyager you are, you hold your ground for the next unexpected turns of the ship.
As you move away from the lit part of the deck, you realize you don't have a light source...
You decide it's best to wait this thing out in your cell. Those sharp turns and turbulence, noises up-deck, this cannot be good. Down here - it's safe.
You follow the purple orbs, guiding the way on what seems to be the lowest deck of the ship. On your right and left, you see doors similar to the one from your cell. Each has a barred window at the top, so one could take a peek inside. If you went further, following the lights, you'd reach the stairs to a higher deck.
You approach another cell's door. A short glance shows you it's empty. The next one as well. Hmm... Seems they are fresh after a slave sale.
You sit in your cell, bracing for turbulence of the ship. After a while, the noises up-deck slowly receed, as does the ship's stability.
The stairs look different from the floor of the lower deck. They are made from much harder material, gnarly and winding, like tentacles of a fossilized creature.
As you leave the cell, you see tentacle-headed humanoids throwing prisioners in other cells. You recognize the outfits of the poor souls. Your crew! They came to save you...
The deck you enter is much larger than where you came from. The walls are still of the opalescent shell material, but here they are also carved with intricate designs depicting tentacle-headed humanoids towering over other races.
You hear numerous hurried steps. Then, in your cell's door a tentacled head appears. "Such a well behaved slave, you'll be worth a fortune" - the monstrosity says, as it slams your cell door shut. Your chance to escape is lost.
The barrel was luckily empty. You hear muffled voices, shouting: "Their captain is gone! Search the slave deck!"
You sneak across the deck to the stairs leading up. Suddenly, something is hurled down the stairs and lands at your feet. The humanoid's tentacles, protruding from it's face, still flop around slightly. After a moment, they fall limp. Yup, it's dead. Something must have slain one of your captors!
Upon opening the first door you found, a chilling breeze surrounded you. The small room is filled with racks of jars. To your horror, you realize the jars contain brains of various size, texture and complexity. A brown mold on the ceiling seems to be emanating the cold, keeping the room a perfect storage place for grey matter. Disgusted, you close the door.
You hear numerous hurried steps. Then, in your cell's door a tentacled head appears. "Such a well behaved slave, you'll be worth a fortune" - the monstrosity says, as it slams your cell door shut. Your chance to escape is lost, as is your crew.
You baldly walk up to the humanoids, prepared to diplomatically explain that all this is a major misunderstanding. Your silver tongue and dashing charisma never failed you in the past.
The moment you walk into their sight, a surge passes through your mind. Not able to resist, you stop dead-stiff in the middle of the deck. "Here is our precious captain!" splurts out the tentaclehead. It grabs you and throws you back into your cell. Your chance to escape is lost, as is your crew.
You hold your breath as you hear footsteps passing by. Then, a surge passes through your mind. Not able to resist, you stand up and reveal yourself. "Here is our precious captain!" splurts out the tentaclehead. It grabs you and throws you back into your cell. Your chance to escape is lost, as is your crew.
As you hear footsteps approaching, you jump out of the barrel. Having the element of surprise, you...
The next door opens a much more familiar view - weapon storage! You sneak in and rummage through the crates. Your interest is grabbed by an item vaguely resembling a flintlock pistol, the Voidslinger. You take it, making yourself feel much more secure in this dire situation you've found yourself in.
You leave the room, just to see a tentaclehead humanoid falling down the stairs leading up-deck. The humanoid's tentacles, protruding from it's face, still flop around slightly. After a moment, they fall limp. Yup, it's dead. Something must have slain one of your captors!
You can now discern the familair sounds of a fight. Keeping close to the walls, you take a peek outside. To your amazement, you can see your ship's crew, standing fast against the horrid tentaclehead humanoids!
You get hurled into your cell, door slammed shut behind you. Your chance to escape is lost, as is your crew.
You slash the startled monstrosity and attach the Souledge to your wrist. The adrenaline rush makes everything slow down. Your heart races, as you lunge forward and tacke the next humanoid. One clean strike and it's down. You can feel the others trying to get through your mind's barriers, but they fail as your wild frenzy makes you act purely on instinct. Swift parry, and you fell another monstrosity. Just as you're about to strike one wearing shimmering robes full of star patterns, you catch it's gaze and your body is immobilized. Your chance to escape is lost, as is your crew.
Amidst the fray, your first mate notices you and pushes his way to you. He notices you're unarmed, so he hands you a spare weapon. "That's great you've finally decided to show up, captain!" - he grins, and sets off brandishing his own blade.
Coyly walking up the stairs, you can now discern the familair sounds of a fight. Keeping close to the walls, you take a peek outside. To your amazement, you can see your ship's crew, standing fast against the horrid tentaclehead humanoids!
Amidst the fray, your first mate notices you and pushes his way to you. "You've finally decided to show up, captain!" - he grins. He notices you're holding a Voidslinger, and he nods towards his spare weapon. "Fancy a swap?" - he asks.
You notice your boatswain, waving from a dinghy attached to the shellfish ship's side. He beckons you to hop in. However, you also see your crew holding off the tentacleheads...
You decide your crew won't be able to win this fight, so you call for retreat. Some of your crew members only now noticed you've managed to escape from caprivity yourself.
"To me!" - you shout! Some of your crew members only now noticed you've managed to escape from caprivity yourself. They regroup around, and with the extra morale boost from their captain's presence, they manage to overpower the horrid tentaclehead humanoids. Chopped tentacles fly into the air, as your captors are felled one by one.
You jump into the dinghy, exchange a quick greeting with your boatswain and help him with the ropes. Your crew hastily retreats as well, yet some are overpowered by the psychic abilites of the tentacleheads. Their sacrifice won't be forgotten. Once the last crew member is on board, you push the dinghy away from your captors' ship. Your boatswain swiftly maneuvers the vessel behind a cosmic rock nearby, where the crew anchored your own ship.
"We're out of here, crew!" - you shout, encouraging them to flee from the cursed ship. You fend off your former captors skillfully. Chopped off tentacles fly around the deck. You take a glance and see the last crew member jump into the dinghy. Unfortunately, at the same time, a bulky tentaclehead stabs you with a spear. You're a professional - you know how to take a stab and make the blade miss all the important parts. It hurts though...
You cut through the spear and kick away the attacker. Then you jump into the dinghy and collapse. The dinghy gets pushed away from the captors' ship. Someone presses onto your wound to stop the bleeding. Your boatswain swiftly maneuvers the vessel behind a cosmic rock nearby, where the crew anchored your own ship. Everything goes dark.
Next thing you notice, you're in your own cabin. A familiar humming sound of the ship soothes your ears. You missed it.
You take lead and move upstairs to the bridge deck. Your crew scouts the area, as you ascend even further to the command deck. There, the helm of the ship stands. It's sculpted in a similar way to the stairs, in a horrid, boney fashion. The sides are embelished with bas-reliefs of the tentaclehead humanoids performing their cruel deeds.
You are wise enough not to take use this helm. Before you set sail, a temporary furnace is set and connected to the ship's systems. Luckily, you've collected enough magic items to fuel this makeshift solution. Now, what to do with this scary, shellfish ship? Use it for good... or for some more questionable deeds? That's only up to you to decide!
You send your crew to the weapons room in the cargo deck. You've seen some explosives in there. Placing them strategically across the shellfish ship is bound to crack the shell.
You gather your crew and get everyone on the dinghy. Once the last crew member is on board, you push the dinghy away from your captors' ship. Your boatswain swiftly maneuvers the vessel behind a cosmic rock nearby, where the crew anchored your own ship.
The crew sets up firing position from a safe distance and you get the honor of setting off the charge. The tentaclehead's ship explodes within it's air bubble. The fire then gets quickly compressed, as the air bubble shrinks and breaks away into small chunks, encapsulating the ship pieces.
Copyright © 2022 Props&Beyond
Privacy and Cookie Policy
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram